Facebook Instagram Pinterest Twitter Home About Me Image Map

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Book Study: Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites {Chapter 5}

It's time to discuss chapter 5 of Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites. I know I'm so late in posting this, but life has been so crazy! I was sick last weekend and the season of paperwork is in full swing. I'm up to my eyeballs in IEPs and referrals...and grad school work. I'm going to try to make some time this week to catch up on here.

Alright, so the topic of chapter 5 is graphic organizers. 

Confession: I don't use them as much as I should, especially with my younger students. I used them with my 3-5 students, but my K-2 instruction is mostly phonics based. Since I only see kids for 30-45 minutes, it's hard to fit it all in!


After reading this chapter, I am reminded of the importance of graphic organizers. My students need ways to visually organize information because they struggle so much with comprehension. I want to continue to use graphic organizers in the classroom, but I want to start using them with my younger students. 

I am also interesting in trying to have my students create their own graphic organizers. Since my students really struggle to think independently, I'm a little nervous about this one. I know they can do it, but getting them to believe they can and actually do it might take some work! Anyone who has done this, I'd love to hear how it went for you!

Earlier this year, I made a non-fiction graphic organizer that I absolutely love! We use it with Time for Kids articles mostly, but you could use it with any non-fiction text. 

You can grab it for free right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment